Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Essay 2

Our professor asked us to go to Pamanang Bedista and choose what artwork struck us most. There are many artworks to choose from, there were different meaning, style, form and tools on how the artwork will be meaningful. There were artwork from generations to generations, came from different genre and historical background of the artwork. So I chose this one. (With my reflection, lol)


When I saw this piece, I remembered Sisa from the novel of Jose Rizal. Since Sisa is also a victim of Spaniards colonization as where she was looking for their children Basilio and Crispin.  I don't know, its just came out and see when and who will make this piece of art. It was Unknown. 
The title and the date are unknown. Anyways, I cannot believe that it was made by woodcut print and even on a parchment paper. For me, it looks like a free hand drawing. Aside from that, the artwork looks a mother carrying her child with the man on her back is holding a mallet. If I could only see the face of that woman, she maybe afraid, sad and tortured by that man. My other analysis is that, maybe the woman and the man in her back is her husband. She is a victim of abuse and harassment. Its like, she wants to runaway with her child and leave the reality. It was very related to the woman nowadays, that's why we have Gabriela to protect our rights. They tend to enter into a lifetime commitment though they were too young. 

No comments:

Post a Comment